Dr. William Murrell, is currently an attending orthopedic surgeon at Gardner Orthopedics. In the past he has been involved in designing, creating quality management systems, clinical and laboratory protocols, accrediting, and operating facilities in the USA, UK, Middle East, and Germany. Formerly, the Chief Science Officer for Emirates Healthcare, Dubai, United Arab Emirates and Chief Executive Officer of Emirates Integra Medical & Surgery Centre, Director Center of Excellence in Orthopedic Surgery and Joint Replacement at Healthpoint Hospital, Mubadala Healthcare, Abu Dhabi,UAE.
An internationally renowned clinician, educator, and researcher, he frequently lectures on MSK regenerative medicine. He is also the Principal Investigator in clinical trials investigating adjuvant stem cells in the treatment of articular cartilage defect(s), the use of gold-induced cytokines, micronized fat, and culture expanded adipose derived mesenchymal stromal cells for treatment of knee osteoarthritis. He has authored several publications and book chapters on musculoskeletal medicine and biological treatments. He is the Co-Founder and Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Biologic Orthopaedic Journal, Associate Editor for Journal Orthopedic Surgery Research and Journal of Clinical Orthopedics and Trauma and numerous other Advisory and Editorial Boards. He frequently participates in international medical conferences, both as an organizer and also as a presenter.
Beginning early in his career he was involved with the for the care of a plethora of elite and professional athletes from the US Ski Team, US Snowboard Team, US Speed Skating Team, Professional Golfers Association (PGA), European Professional Golfers Association (EPGA), National Football League (NFL), National Basketball Association (NBA), Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA), Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP), Women’s Tennis Association (WTA), Professional Squash Association (PSA).
An avid athlete himself, he enjoys squash, backcountry snowboarding (6 of 7 continents thus far), golf, mountain biking, sailing, aviation, and computers. With lifelong passion for sports, he understands the specific needs of athletes and sports players. He is dedicated to offering people solutions that provide significant lasting healing, and reduction of time away from sport. These are personalized treatment plans ideally suited for professional athletes to prolong their careers and improved overall life.
EDUCATION and BOARD CERTIFICATIONS
● Fellowship Orthopedic Sports Medicine – Plancher Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, NY, NY, USA, 2023
● American Academy and Board Regenerative Medicine (AABRM), USA, 2017
● Business Innovations in Global Health Care – Harvard Business School Executive Education, Boston, MA, USA, 2013
● American Board Orthopedic Surgery (ABOS) Qualification Sports Medicine, USA, 2007
● American Board Orthopedic Surgery (ABOS) Orthopedic Surgery, USA, 2005
● Fellowship Sports Medicine — The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital, (TOSH), Salt Lake City, UT, USA, 2003
● Orthopedic Residency — Tulane University Health Science Center and Institute of Sports Medicine, New Orleans, LA, USA, 2002
● M.D. – Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA, 1997
Regenerative Medicine Activities
1. Habbal D, Jayendran K, Yurdi NA, Murrell WD, Maffulli N, Malanga GA. Chapter 2: Regenerative Options for
Musculoskeletal Disorders, in Musculoskeletal Ultrasound-Guided Regenerative Medicine, 2022, May, Springer
2. Murrell, WD, Tulpule S, Yurdi NA, Ezekwesili A, Maffulli N, Malanga GA. Chapter 15: Orthobiologics for the treatment of tennis elbow in. Orthobiologics, Injectable Therapies for the Musculoskeletal System, 2022, January, Springer
3. Gobbi A, Dallo I, Frank RM, Bradsell H, Saenz I, Murrell W. A review of bone marrow lesions in the arthritic knee and description of a technique for treatment. J Cartilage and Joint Preservation. 2021;1:100021. doi: 10.1016/j.jcjp.2021.100021
4. Centeno CJ, Murrell WD, Buford D Malanga G, Freeman M, Mautner K, Money B, Letter to the Editor in response to “The debit side of stem-cell joint injections, Current Orthopaedic Practice, 2021 Sep 20 doi: 10.1097/BCO.0000000000001054
5. Gobbi A, Dallo I, Rogers C, Striano RD, Mautner K, Bowers R, Rozak M, Bilbool N, Murrell WD. Response to Letter to the Editor– Two-year clinical outcomes of autologous microfragmented adipose tissue in elderly patients with knee osteoarthritis: a multi-centric, international study. Int Orthop, 2021 Jul 13. doi: 10.1007/s00264-021-05067-5. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34255099
6. Schneider U, Lotzof K, Murrell WD, Goetz von Wachter E, Hollands P. Safety and efficacy of systemically
administered autologous Gold-Induced Cytokines (GOLDIC®). CellR4 2021; 9: e3132. doi: 10.32113/cellr4_20214_3132
7. Murrell WD. Editorial, Orthobiologics: Filling the Gaps in Current Orthopaedic Surgical Treatment. Bio Ortho J. 2021. APR. epub.
8. Lana JF, da Fonseca LF, Azzini G, Santos G, Braga M, Cardoso Junior AM, Murrell WD, Gobbi A, Purita J, Percope de Andrade MA. Bone marrow aspirate matrix: A convenient ally in regenerative medicine. Int J Mol Sci, 2021, MAR; epub online.
9. Gobbi A, Dallo I, Rogers C, Striano RD, Mautner K, Bowers R, Rozak M, Bilbool N, Murrell WD. Two-year clinical outcomes of autologous microfragmented adipose tissue in elderly patients with knee osteoarthritis: a multi-centric, international study. Int Orthop, 2021, MAR; epub online.
10. Lana JF, da Fonseca LF, Macedo RDR, Mosaner T, Murrell W, Kumar A, Purita J, de Andrade MAP. Plateletrich plasma vs bone marrow aspirate concentrate: An overview of mechanisms of action and orthobiologic synergistic effects. World J Stem Cells. 2021, FEB;13(2):155-167
11. Di Matteo B, Murrell WD, Gortz S , Kon E. Osteoarthritis: an ancient disease, an unsolved conundrum. Int Orthop, 2021, FEB; 45(2): 313-317
12. Schneider U, Kumar A, Murrell WD, Ezekwesili A, Yurdi NA, Maffulli N. Intra-articular Gold Induced Cytokine (GOLDIC®) Injection Therapy in Patients with Osteoarthritis of Knee Joint: A Clinical Study. Int Orthop. 2021, JAN; 45(2): 497-507.
13. Shanmugasundaram S, Vaish A, Chavada V, Murrell WD, Vaishya R. Assessment of safety and efficacy of intra-articular injection of stromal vascular fraction for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis – a systematic review. Int Orthop, 2021, JAN.epub
14. Mishra A, Murrell WD. Viewpoint, Combat COVID-19 with Exercise and Vitamin D Supplementation. Bio Ortho J. 2021. JAN. epub.
15. Kumar A, Yurdi NA, Ezekwesili A, Murrell WD. Chapter 14: Culture Expanded Adipose-Derived Stem Cells (CE-ADSC) for Treatment of Knee Osteoarthritis in. Orthobiologics, Editor Mandeep Dhillon, 2021, January, Salubris
16. Tulpule S, Yurdi NA, Murrell WD. Chapter 37. Cancer Risk, Adverse and Severe Adverse Events in Regenerative Medicine in. Orthobiologics, Editor Mandeep Dhillon, 2021, January, Salubris
17. Yurdi NA, Tulpule S, Malanga G, Rogers C, Murrell WD. Chapter 42. Measuring Outcomes in Orthobiologics – Registry in. Orthobiologics, Editor Mandeep Dhillon, 2021, January, Salubris
18. Schneider U, Murrell WD. Chapter 47. GOLDIC – Next Generation in. Orthobiologics, Editor Mandeep Dhillon, 2021, January, Salubris
19. Malanga GA, Buford D, Murrell WD, Shiple BJ. Bone marrow aspirate concentrate is equivalent to PRP for the treatment of knee OA at 1 year: Letter to the Editor. Orthop J Sports Med, 2020 OCT ;8:2325967120960706
20. Melo SNS, Ezekwesili A, Yurdi NA, Murrell WD, Maffulli N. Gold-induced cytokine (Goldic) injection therapy in patient with plantar fasiosis: A case report in Olympic equestrian. Ind J Orthop. 2020, MAR. epub.
21. Badsha H, Harifi G, Murrell WD. Platelet rich plasma for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: Case series and review of literature. Case Rep Rheumatol. 2020, FEB. epub.
22. Simplicio CL, Purita J, Murrell WD, et al. Extracorporeal shock wave therapy mechananisms in musculoskeletal regenerative medicine. J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2020, FEB. epub.
23. Mishra A, Buford D, Murrell WD. Welcome to the Biologic Orthopedic Journal. Bio Ortho J. 2019. MAY. epub.
24. Jenio ZJ, Scholes C, Marenah, M, Li, J, Cowley M, Ebrahimi M, Harrision-Brown M, Murrell, WD. Quality in practice: implementation of a clinical outcomes registry in regenerative medicine: Ann Transl Med, 2019, APR.
25. Harrison-Brown M, Scholes C, Hafsi K, Marenah M, Li J, Hassan F, Maffulli N, Murrell, WD. Efficacy and safety of culture-expanded, mesenchymal stem/stromal cells for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review protocol. J Orthop Surg and Res, 2019, Jan. epub.
26. Marenah, M, Li, J, Kumar, A, Murrell, WD. Quality Assurance and Adverse Event Management in Regenerative Medicine for Knee Osteoarthritis: Current Concepts. J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2018, SEP.
27. Hassan, F., Murrell, WD , Refalo, A., and Maffulli, N., Alternatives to Biologics in Management of Knee Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review. Sports Medicine Arthroscopy Review. 2018 , JUN.
28. Hassan, F., Murrell, WD , Trebinjac, S., and Hashim, Z., Chapter 8: Platelet Rich Plasma to Enhance Orthopaedic Procedures in. Regenerative Treatments in Sports and Orthopaedic Medicine, 2017,OCT. Springer.
29. Murrell, WD, 5th Sports and Exercise Medicine Summer Camp 2017,Sports Injuries: New Techniques & Management, Platelet Rich Plasma in MSK Disease: Myth or Truth; Current Landscape of Regenerative Medicine. [faculty], Kalamata, Greece, 2017.
30. Murrell WD. Yet another key learning point in the quest universal cartilage repair and restoration. Annals of Translational Medicine. 2017, FEB.
31. Murrell, WD, Bone and Joint Conference 2017,Sports Injury Management New Procedures and Techniques. [speaker], Dubai, UAE, FEB 2017.
32. Hassan, F., Trebinjac, S., Murrell, WD and Maffulli, N., The effectiveness of prolotherapy in treating knee osteoarthritis in adults: a systematic review. British Medical Bulletin, 2017, JAN.
33. Murrell, WD. 1st Asia Oceana MSK Ultrasound Congress and Regenerative Medicine Conference, Practical Approach to Application of Biologics to Shoulder Conditions. [speaker], Manila, Philippines, NOV 2016
34. Murrell, WD. Philippine Society Anesthesia, -48th Annual Meeting, Platelet Rich Plasma in Therapy in MSK Diseases: Truth or Myth. [speaker], Manila, Philippines, NOV 2016.
35. Murrell, WD, Evidence of Homologous Use in Cellular Based Therapy in Medical Practice. United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), [presentation], National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA, SEP 2016
36. Anz, AW, Bapat, A, Murrell, WD,. Concepts in regenerative medicine: Past, present, and future in articular cartilage treatment. J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2016, JUN.
37. Murrell, WD, The Orthobiologic Institute (TOBI)-7th Annual PRP and Regenerative Health 2016, [lab faculty], Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, June 2016
38. Murrell, WD, American Society for Interventional Pain Physicians-18th Annual Meeting, The Current Landscape of Regenerative Medicine. [keynote speaker], Dallas, Texas, USA, April 2016
39. Centeno CJ, Al-Sayegh H, Freeman MD, Smith J, Murrell WD, Bubnov R. A multi-center analysis of adverse events among two thousand, three hundred and seventy two adult patients undergoing adult autologous stem cell therapy for orthopaedic conditions. Int. Orthop. 2016 Mar 30:1-1.
40. Murrell, WD, Women’s Health Conference 2016, Regenerative Medicine to Treat Sports Injuries in Women. [speaker], Dubai, UAE, March 2016
41. Murrell, WD, Schaffer, J. 12th Middle-East Orthopaedic Conference, Arab Health 2016, Shoulder: The Most Important Joint, Roundtable: Innovations, Technology in Shoulder Treatment. [chairman, moderator, discussion leader], Dubai, UAE, January 2016
42. Murrell, WD, Biologics to Enhance Current Orthopaedic Procedures: Focus Knee, OCD Case Discussions, Office Based Bone Marrow Aspiration for Knee Practice . 3rd Congress of the Indian Cartilage Society 2015, [presentation], Ahmedabad, India, November 2015.
43. Murrell, WD, Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy in MSK Disease: Truth or Myth. Internal Medicine Review Course 2015, [presentation], Abu Dhabi, UAE, October 2015.
44. Murrell, WD, Regenerative Treatments to Augment Current Orthopaedic Procedures. 2nd UP Orthopaedic Association Trauma Course, [presentation], Lucknow, India, October 2015.
45. Murrell, WD, Cell Based Therapies in Musculoskeletal Medicine. The Orthobiologic Institute (TOBI)-6th Annual PRP and Regenerative Health 2015, [Lab faculty, Event moderator], Las Vegas, USA, June 2015
46. Murrell, WD, Anz, AW, Badsha, H, Bennett, WF, Boykin, RE, Caplan, AI. Regenerative Treatments to Enhance Orthopaedic Surgical Outcome. PM&R , 2015, APR.
47. Murrell, WD, Schaffer, J. 11th Middle-East Orthopaedic Conference, Arab Health 2015, The Knee from Birth to the Golden Years, Maintaining Quality and Compliance in Biological Programs. [chairman, moderator, presentation], Dubai, UAE, January 2015
48. Murrell, WD, Managing Quality and Compliance-Biologics and the Knee. 8th Biennial Conference of OASAC , [presentation], Agra, India, October 2014
49. Murrell, WD, Hackel, J. Office Based Ultrasound Guided Bone Marrow Aspiration; Safe and Effective. Basic Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Course, [presentation, lab faculty], Andrews Institute, Gulf Breeze, Florida, June 2014
50. Murrell, WD, PRP and Shoulder, 3rd Dubai Shoulder Summit, [presentation], Dubai, UAE, May 2014
51. Murrell, WD, Biologics in Degenerative Knee Conditions. 2nd International Advanced Orthopaedic Congress, [presentation], Dubai, UAE, March 2014
52. Murrell, WD, Stem Cells. International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS) Focus Meeting, [moderator], Bologna, Italy, December 2013
53. Murrell, WD, Safe and Compliant Cell Based Therapies in Musculoskeletal Medicine. The Orthobiologic Institute (TOBI)-4th Annual PRP and Regenerative Health 2013, [presentation, moderator], Los Angeles, USA, June 2013
54. Murrell, WD. Treatment of Knee Degenerative Conditions: Combining Classic Skills with Ultra Modern Technology and Treatment: MEDICINA E CHIRURGIA ORTOPEDICA, Jan-Feb 2013
55. Murrell, WD, 21st Century and Beyond: Cutting Edge Biological Treatments in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Arab Health Magazine, November 2012(5); 68-70
56. Murrell, WD, Current Use of Hyaluronic Acid in Orthopaedic Practice, Emerging Stem Cell Technologies. 8th Middle-East Orthopaedic Conference, Arab Health 2012, Orthopaedics and New Innovations [presentation, moderator], Dubai, UAE, January 2012
57. Murrell, WD, Application of Progenitor Stem Cells for Articular Cartilage Regeneration, Academic Medical Center Executive Committee, Oct 2011 [presentation], Dubai Healthcare City, Dubai, UAE; UAE Ministry of Health [presentation], Sharjah, UAE, October 2011